Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What Does Top of the World Feel Like?

Celtics 131, Lakers 92

I am not an NBA fan by any means.

However, I watched the end of almost all the Finals games. And watching Kevin Garnett force his way through the Lakers tonight to win a blowout with 26 points, 14 rebounds, 3 steals and 4 assists, made me wish I watched and played basketball.

The raw emotion that Kevin Garnett showed after being pulled in the 4th.. the emotion that you could see pounding through his veins when the game was finished made me believe he was a champion. If there was any doubt in my mind, it was crushed tonight. And to know that in the postgame, when Kevin Garnett was being interviewed, he gave us all a shout-out. When asked about winning the title, you know what he said?

"This is for everybody in 'Sota, everybody in Chicago..."

I'm honored to know that I saw him play in person.
Absolutely honored.



I am not an NBA fan by any means.

However, watching the postgame celebration and interviews brought tears to my eyes. Why? I don't know. Maybe it was because my J.O. volleyball team doesn't know how to work together and I'm sick of it. The sole emotion that I show when I get home is frustration, not happiness. Not celebration. Winning something like that is breathtaking. Sure, my J.O. volleyball team is not even close to being equivalent to the NBA Finals. However, I'm never going to be a player on the NBA Finals team. I'll never know what it feels like.

Seeing their celebration and the joy that was spread across their faces? It was.. amazing. How else do I describe? Kevin Garnett is a leader. Paul Pierce is a leader. Ray Allen is a leader. Surprisingly, Rajon Rondo was a leader. In fact, the whole team were leaders. They were heroes. And Kobe Bryant couldn't be the savior this time.

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics. Honestly, seeing what I saw tonight?
You wouldn't want it any other way.

2 comments:

S.Rail said...

Yeah, I guess I am happy they won too. But not for KG. He trash talked our team (which I am not a big fan of) and thought he was too good for Minnesota. At least Boston has 2 championships in 1 year, that would be so cool if Minnesota could do that.

Sooze said...

GO Twins! Weeeeeeeeeeee!