Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Times Like These

Twins 3, Angels 2
Angels 9, Twins 1

It seems I haven't written up a post in about 104809218312 years. Since November, anyways. When Jason got traded. I still haven't forgiven Bill Smith yet, but it's slowly dawning on me that Adam Everett is now our shortstop. I don't like him solely because he took Jason's spot, but I should try to forget about this and give you my thoughts on the new 2008 season.

Monday's game was fun to watch. I found that I missed baseball much more than I had anticipated Monday morning, but by 5:30 I was itching to see the grass of the Metrodome and the players running on the field.. it hurt to see that most of the Twins players were still relatively unfamiliar faces. I mean, I know all of them, but they are not the '07 Twins. It's about as simple as that. And I know that the '07 Twins got us nowhere, but still, I miss them. Anybody who really cares about the players and not just the "uniform" should, too.

Anyways! Tuesday was definitely harsh by all standards. Boof! struggled, but it was our bullpen that really gave it away. That paired with the story of all Twins fans' lives - lack of run support made the perfect losing situation for us. Add a couple of errors in there and Angels fans are wondering why they couldn't do this on Opening Day instead.

My thoughts on Torii's being hit by Juan Rincon last night: unintentional. If it was intentional, you'd notice. Juan acted genuinely surprised when he hit him, but it seems Torii has other ideas:
..... Juan Rincon came in to pitch the ninth and he got off to a real rocky start, hitting former Twins center fielder Torii Hunter in the left elbow with the first pitch that he threw.

Rincon claimed afterward that the pitch was not intentional, although Hunter wasn't so sure.

"Maybe, maybe not," Hunter said when asked if he thought Rincon was throwing at him. "I kind of have mixed feelings. When he came [to the Twins], we clicked pretty good. Maybe they had a bet on who would hit Torii first."

Uh.. no. As great as I bet Torii is, I tried super hard to dislike him and find him overrated last year/this offseason, but when he came up to bat on Monday I teared up and realized how much I missed him. But, again, he goes off and all he has to do is talk to piss me off. Just like when he was traded, he said something about how it was "the thing he had to do" and "it didn't have anything to do with money". That's bull, basically, because everybody knows 5yrs/$90-freaking-million > 5yrs/$47 million. I thought Torii really wanted to stay here in Minnesota? Whilst he said it was his "home" on Monday night, he could have stayed here at "home" with a very large paycheck still, but he decided to be greedy. But you know what? I guess you have to do what you have to do, even if he means moving out to LA to get $90 million and going 0 for 4 on Opening Day versus your old team. I'm all for that. Otherwise, I'm over it, because Carlos Gomez has amazing potential and I'm thinking he'll be a stud this year. Hopefully. If he can repeat what he did on Monday (2 for 3 with a double, a walk, 2 runs scored and 2 stolen bases) for a decent sum of the games this year, we should see a very nice player from New York roaming our fields instead of Hunter.

In other news, as all Twins fans who are women (along with the occasional man) are almost required to have, my newest 'boyfriend' would be Kevin Slowey. With Jason's departure, he is definitely still in my heart (I regularly check Tampa's website and look at the pictures on ESPN) but I need somebody who close to home. Who better to pick than Kevin? He's insanely adorable, with the grayish-green eyes and a slight motormouth, and he's definitely going to impress this year. He might need to get warmed up, but once we're in the season, he's going to take control. You just watch.

Also: I'll be updating more, most likely. I'm going to fix this place up a bit and clean out the cobwebs (<-- lame joke) but all-in-all, I should be a regular blogger this year. Huzzah! I'm a comment whore, I just figured I should remind everyone, so comment away.

I am off to watch as much Qwest Twins Live as I can, mainly because I have confirmation tonight at 7, so I'll be missing a large chunk of the game. At least I have absolutely nothing going on tomorrow night..

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am also having a hard time liking Adam Everett. I try, because it's not really his fault that he isn't Jason. It helps a little that Mike Redmond and Nick Punto like him. But still. Jason was equal parts adorable AND good at baseball. It's not going to be easy getting over that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kayla! Good to read your blog again. I sort of hope Juan did plunk Torii on purpose.

Kayla said...

katie: yeah, but still, nicky punto + jason = ♥ for eternity. not even lying.

me too, tricia. me too.